Wednesday, August 26, 2009

APUSH summer assignment

for my summer assignment for ap us history we had two articles and three chapters of a book and had to do one page response papers for each, this is my favorite of my essays
here is one article we had to read, we went till the line "One can lie outright about the past."
http://tinyurl.com/d4txth

after reading this i was totally pissed at Columbus, and here, is part of my essay, please don't plagiarize.
i hope my teacher doesn't call me out on plagiarizing on my own essay, that would be suck.

"In Columbus' journal, telling about how the natives approached their arrival, this is how I read it, “the Indians here are great. They gave us all this cool stuff and we didn't have to do anything for it! I bet with a few more men we could enslave them all and make them do whatever we want!” And that, in todays world is totally insane. In Star Trek, (bear with me) they had the Prime Directive, not to interfere with lifeforms that have not yet reached warp technology. If only something like this was in effect in the days of exploration. The Incas and Aztecs could be just as advanced as we are. But, also the United States of America wouldn't exist and I wouldn't exist. Perhaps this will be our example of what not to do if we find aliens in space who are lower in technology than us."


this is the Columbus journal part i mention.
They ... brought us parrots and balls of cotton and spears and many other things, which they exchanged for the glass beads and hawks' bells. They willingly traded everything they owned... . They were well-built, with good bodies and handsome features.... They do not bear arms, and do not know them, for I showed them a sword, they took it by the edge and cut themselves out of ignorance. They have no iron. Their spears are made of cane... . They would make fine servants.... With fifty men we could subjugate them all and make them do whatever we want.

No comments:

Post a Comment